Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Triumph against all odds

That title may tip the scales toward dramatic. But, so do my emotions. Last night, I rolled into the garage, expecting to roll out astride the Puch. Put some oil in, went back to the bench to grab the key...but it wasn't there. Quick look around, but I couldn't find it. 

Two and a half hours later, I couldn't find it. 

I've lost a lot of things in my life. Some I've found, some never. An ipod I found  an hour after buying a replacement, a moped, a lucky acron, my mind...

*I half expected the oddly shaped key to fall off my arse when I took a shower, like a quarter (or earring) left on my bed on a humid night. 

Today, I made yet another trip to Motorwest. Luckily, Puch keys are universal and can be replaced by a 10-penny nail in a pinch. Unless you're trying to steal my bike, in which case the nail WILL NOT work. Devil. 

Key in hand, the bike started right up. Helmet on, goggles on, and riding in the sunshine. I got a lot of waves and smiles as I rode across Milwaukee, followed by a could of white two-stroke smoke, and all of the trouble was worth it. 

The plan from here is to ride it around until a few detail parts come in from Austria. Then, we'll get to the second stage of the restoration:

  • replace the pipes, tires
  • shine the wheels 
  • repaint parts of the frame
  • replace the tool and battery box hardware
  • repaint tank, fender and headlight shell
  • recover seat
  • replace side stickers, and do custom tank and frame lettering

Want to have that done before Rockerbox!

* I realized that I still haven't showered since last night, maybe the key is yet to be found!

No comments:

Post a Comment