Friday, June 12, 2009

The Situation...



Yesterday, I noticed that my carb pissed gas. After that long, wonderful ride, there was a beautiful slice of humble pie just waiting for me. 

No problem, right? Ring up motorwest, pick up a new float (which has stopped floating), and ride on!

Turns out, the float for the 250 is a popular item. It'd take, at best, six weeks to get one from Austria. Damn - was this it? Could I give up so easily? Would this be the end of the road?

Never. I had an idea...


Gas seeped into the float through at least 22 hairline fractures, killing the buoyancy. This would be no simple solder job. First, I had to get the gas out so I could work on it. Since it had crept in slowly over time, it would probably take a long time to seep out, so I had to cut some holes with a hobby knife to drain it. 

Next, I soldered the drain holes, and sanded down the rest of the float to prepare for what came next...

Then, party time...


A bath in POR-15 Fuel Tank Sealer that I had left over from another project! I figure this coating would seal the fissures and holes, restoring sweet, critical buoyancy!

Drip, drip. 

This morning, after sanding some of the drips and bubbles, I put it back in the bike. So far, so good. No leaks, the float floats, and the bike runs! I'd recommend this fix for anyone else suffering from a compromised float made from relative unobtanium!

1 comment:

  1. See the latest post: This fix doesn't work, and will mess up your life! - Steve

    ReplyDelete