Thursday, February 25, 2010

Tin

Doing some final work to the tin before Graham gets his shot to make it all sparkly and beautiful. Above is a patch where there was once a rough little mystery hole on the headlight shell.


Some boogertime tac welds to fill in that disgusting, heartbreaking void....

It took a lot of grinding, more tacs and grinding to get it to a happy (not ecstatic) place.

I had to restore part of the lip where the rubber knee pads meet Austrian Steel. They were rusted away in some places. Again, I approached the situation with one nerve-racking little baby tac after another. Then, I used a cutting wheel on the new MAKITA grinder (which is the best purchase I've made in a long time) to grind from above and below to thin the bulbous welding formations.



In the end, it looked decent, and the old kneepad fit well. This was all a mightily enjoyable challenge. Although the result wasn't fit for the Discovery Channel, Shinya, even hidden things are perfect classification - I'm a novice, and feel good about ceding that territory to the masters. I mean, if I did perfect work on the first try, masters would be chumps, right? I have a lot of years ahead of me with this stuff...

1 comment: