Tuesday, August 11, 2009

It's been busy.


Since I last posted, there hasn't been a lot of Puch action. I've been riding the shit out of the things, which is unusual for me. Typically, my vehicles live in various states of repair and disassembly, adrift in a timeless world of hope, aspiration, and longing to be completed. The only problem with the lil' Puch is that the battery will occasionally fly out of its compartment. That always leads to a shameful trek, retracing the ride until I find the severed battery in the street...back in the bike, ride off, falls out again...ass.

The next thing I'll do is fix the 'effin latch.

Just because I've been screwing around "riding" a bike doesn't mean I haven't been busy in the garage. AFR begged for attention.

A calm night meant for a simple front fork seal replacement turned into a front end tear down, re-wiring, and fabrication and installation of all types of crazy shit.

That very week, I took a welding workshop with Frankie Flood at UWM - he's a master metalsmith, teacher, and motoguy. I chose a project to fill a void in my relationship with AFR - the troublesome space between the rear frame loop and the pert little tailsection:

Some 22 gauge steel, MIG time, body filler, heart break and some LEDS - and a couple of weeks later, we had something to work with, just in time for ROCKERBOX!



Cardboard Model



The Steel, handcut; Tempered by passion and love.


Detail cuts, shaping, and the first welds. No pipe, so we bent some steel around iron. It took hole saws, a jeweler's saw, snips, and a LOT of filing to get the cut-outs right.

I actually enjoy wiring. Welded in a bolt to act as a STUD in the LED retaining system.


MOCK UP!


And there you have it! Also added new rear turn signals, and a flashing LED brake light to the top tailsection so people in truck or SUVs see me...at least I hope. With new seals, oil, and other parts in the front end, the BMW really is a joy to ride. The PUCH/BMW experience is polar, each balancing the other. It's a happy collection....

That just got one bigger:


Stay tuned....I'm almost done.




No comments:

Post a Comment