Friday, September 11, 2009

MerCrucible?


I traded out a few complications in my life - the Range Rover and BMW 535i, for something new.

The car, to me, means a move towards simplification, reliability; shoring up a better foundation for projects to come.

For years, my cousin's told me that Mercedes made before 1996 are some of the most dependable and over-engineered cars ever made. In particular, the series known as the w124, produced in the late 80's and early 90's, seems the business. I found an estate version, and bought it.

212,000 miles be damned. Most solid, nicest car I've ever owned. Tomorrow, I get serious about the mechanics. I'll be replacing two magical spheres, called "accumulators." These glands use the fascinating power of hydraulics to keep the car from bouncing like an empty school bus (which it does now). Also, hoping to simply bolt on some new exhaust system components and bleed the brakes.

I feel all together different about the coming adventure. I've studied with an academic bend. Applied myself to preparing the workspace, sought guidance, collected the proper documentation. It feels like my first exam in a challenging college course - the first time you feel like you really have to try to nail it - but know that in the end, you can. Let's see where we are in a few days, then back to the Puch. Promise.


No comments:

Post a Comment